Fool or Be Fooled!
So although it’s April Fools day, I promise I’m being straight up with you right now! Here are some tips to help you play nice on April Fools' Day, and on any day, to help bring fun and humor into your life:
- Think about the outcome of your joke before you start down the path. Make sure it’s fun, not mean. Often we get caught up in being clever and forget about people’s feelings.
- Make it relevant in some way. What is something that would really make that person laugh, maybe something you know they’ve been worried about or avoiding. You might be able to help someone lighten up about an issue.
- If the joke does go wrong, make sure you let the person know your intent. Apologize if need be. Make it up to them.
- And hey, if your intent was to be mean, then I hope someone gets you real good with their joke so you can get a little taste of your own medicine. It really can help us when we ‘feel the pain.’ Sometimes we just don’t realize what we’re doing to someone else.
- If you’re the one being fooled, lighten up about it. Remember, it’s April Fools Day and people are just looking to have some fun! Don’t take it too personally. And think of how you can have some fun right back!
Now it's your turn, share in the comments below the best April Fools' joke that you've ever played or that's been played on you.
Years ago I received a call from a friend at 6am on April 1st asking if I could bail her out of jail. Still sleepy, I said be right there & hung up. The phone rang immediately after I hung up and she said "April Fool's". Still haven't gotten even; but someday, somewhere, sometime I will; she better watch out!